birth doula services
"Alicia was an absolute life-saver. Rather than me trying to frantically remember techniques from our birth class and respond to my wife's needs (especially when she was unable to articulate them), Alicia was able to anticipate them and let me be a source of emotional comfort. Her experience and gentle demeanor absolutely enhanced our birth experience and I would not hesitate to hire her again."
Before The Birth
- Spinning Babies® Parent Class!! Spinning Babies helps with comfort in pregnancy and helps to prepare for an easier birth! (This can be offered virtually or in-person depending on your comfort level)
- One formal, in-home prenatal meeting (unless you prefer otherwise) plus unlimited virtual prenatal meetings. During prenatal meetings we get to know one another, discuss your most important values and dreams going into childbirth, create a birth preferences plan, practice birthing comfort measures, discuss fears and joys, discuss the postpartum period and ANY thing else that comes up.
- If applicable, assistance in preparing for a planned, family-centered surgical birth
- 24/7 emotional support from the day of hire – call/text ANY time!
- Full access to my prenatal and postnatal resources as well as book lending library
- On-call availability as soon as you sign the contract
During The Birth
- Unlimited phone support while you navigate the more early, and sometimes confusing, stage of birth
- Will join you at your home and/or chosen birth place when you ask for me to be by your side
- Face-to-face support during the duration of your labor and birth (no additional charge for longer births)
- Use of non-pharmacological comfort measures and relaxation tools
- Physical and emotional support for you and your support person or people (if applicable)
- Facilitator of communication with provider(s) as necessary
- Photo documentation of your birth including a birth video
- Immediate postpartum support for one to two hours after birth or until you are fed, comfortable, and/or ready to be alone as a family
After The Birth
- 1-2 hour postpartum visit where we can process your birth story together
- Availability of any resources you may need
- See my postpartum services page if you would like continued in-person doula and/or newborn care through your early postpartum time
Investment: $1550 for new clients (including Spinning Babies class), repeat clients pay $1250. Birth doula clients receive $5/hr off my usual hourly price for both my postpartum doula services (days and overnights), and childbirth education.
My Birth Doula Philosophy
First and foremost, I believe in YOU to know what you and your child need to birth in a way that will feel most comfortable, safe and empowering. I work for YOU. I do not have an attachment to any type of birth whether you choose an unmedicated birth, a birth assisted with an epidural, in the water, on a surgical table or anything in-between. All births require trust in the birthing person and I truly and deeply believe in you to know what you specifically need to make your birth story filled with empowerment, support, encouragement and love. I believe that with education and knowing your values, that any choices made will be made with great confidence and work in your behalf to create a birth story you can own with great joy and even awe regardless of any unexpected turns and twists a birth can take. My role as a birth doula is to nurture your pregnancy, your birth, YOU, any other support person that you invite, your spouse or partner (if applicable) and to hold and ground your birthing space so you feel safe, understood and believed in. As your doula I do not take your birth partner’s place (regardless of if this is your life partner, spouse, mother, friend etc.) in the role of birth support but enhance this very intimate experience by gently guiding and simply being a calm presence for you to bring your child into your arms and into your family. I cherish and feel so honored and grateful serving families as a birth doula, I can’t think of anything I would rather do than show up for you on your journey.